Advanced Master's in International Tax Law
The University of Amsterdam and the world’s leading tax research institute IBFD have combined their expert knowledge to introduce a unique advanced master's programme: “International Tax Law: Principles, Policy and Practice”. This one-year, full-time programme will be based in the diverse and cosmopolitan city of Amsterdam, the Netherlands.
Watch an introductory video:
Students from the United States
This programme qualifies for Stafford/PLUS loans.
Students following this unique programme can expect to receive a thorough grounding in every aspect of international tax law. The programme will teach the principles, the practical issues of international tax law and how it is used in both private and industry practice and, finally, the detailed consideration of policy options available to states at different stages of development. The combination of all these aspects, taught by the best of academia, top practitioners and leading government officials, is designed to provide graduates with all the skills and knowledge invaluable in propelling their careers, whatever direction they choose.
To ensure students receive individual attention, this programme is limited to 25 students. Students participate in many practical exercises including a moot court and a mock tax treaty negotiation. There will be training in all the necessary skills to improve legal research, writing and oral presentation skills.
In addition, the UvA provides programme students relocating to the Netherlands with hands-on assistance, from offering practical advice to guidance on living accommodation and much more.
Highlights of this programme are:
Academic title and accreditation
- Exposure to a powerful combination of forces: the University of Amsterdam and IBFD
- Access – including dedicated support – to the IBFD Library, which is widely regarded as the world’s leading resource facility in the field of international and comparative taxation
- Unrestricted access, via the IBFD Library, to the IBFD Tax Research Platform – the richest online collection of international tax information in the world
- Access to IBFD’s extensive international network and opportunities to develop long-term contacts
- Study facilities at the University of Amsterdam and IBFD
The quality of this master’s programme has been positively assessed by the Accreditation Organisation of the Netherlands and Flanders (NVAO). This means that upon successful completion of the programme students will receive a legally accredited Master’s degree in International Tax Law and the title of Master of Laws (LLM).
Application and admission
The programme starts every September; applications must be received by 1 April of the same year. Apply online via the UvA website
In support of the programme two scholarships of half the registration fee (amounting to no less than € 9,500 for the 2016/17 academic year) are made available for the benefit of the students showing the most promise as active contributors to the programme. The selection process takes into account the students’ academic achievements, and whether they have obtained high grades and can demonstrate international mobility.
Below is an overview of the requirements:
- A university degree in law, economics or business administration and a proven interest in tax law
- Proficiency in the English language
- A willingness to actively participate in the classroom
- An open mind towards different cultures
Please visit the UvA website
or download the full brochure
for more detailed information such as tuition fees, practical information about living in the Netherlands and much more.
Ranked in the 2017 Top 10 List for LLM Programs for International Tax Law.