The IBFD Frans Vanistendael Award for International Tax Law
IBFD wishes to promote outstanding scientific research output on international tax law. For this purpose, it decided to introduce the IBFD Frans Vanistendael Award for International Tax Law, named after its well-esteemed former Academic Chairman, Prof. Dr Frans Vanistendael. Professor Vanistendael is renowned for producing academic content at the highest of scientific standards and has long been distinguished as one of the most far-sighted scholars in the field of international tax law.
I. Funding, focus and requirements
II. Application and selection process for 2021
Eligible publications are all articles, books, book chapters and monographs on international tax law (including European Union tax law), in paper or digital format (with an ISBN or ISSN number), published in English between 1 January 2020 and 31 December 2020, which have provided an outstanding contribution to the development of international tax law. In case of doubt, the temporal criterion to ascertain eligibility is the date of the ISBN/ISSN.
Applications may be submitted by anyone (therefore not just by the author) by 31 December 2020 via email to email@example.com.
The recipient of the 2021 Frans Vanistendael Award for International Tax Law will be selected by an international jury composed of Cécile Brokelind, Tsilly Dagan, Cliff Fleming, Rick Krever, Jörg Manfred Mössner, Pasquale Pistone (Chairman), Jennifer Roeleveld, Luis Schoueri and Dikshit Sengupta.
The jury decides on the winner of the award by a two-thirds majority. In case that majority cannot be reached after two rounds of votes, the decision is taken by a simple majority.
The conferral of the 7th IBFD Frans Vanistendael Award will take place online on 12 April 2021.
The following publications have been shortlisted for 2021:
- Kysar, R., Unravelling the tax treaty, Minnesota Law Review (University of Minnesota Law School)
- Martín Jiménez, A., Value Creation: A Guiding Light for the Interpretation of Tax Treaties?, Bulletin for International Taxation 4/5 (IBFD, 2020)
- Mason, R., The Transformation of International Tax, The American Journal of International Law Vol. 114 (The American Society of International Law)
- Navarro Ibarrola, A., International Tax Soft Law Instruments, Intertax, Volume 48, Issue 10 (Kluwer Law International)
- Van West, J.P., The anti-abuse rule for permanent establishments in third states, European and International Tax Law and Policy Series (16) (IBFD)
The 2020 edition was carried out with the support of the following jury members:
Pasquale Pistone (Chairman), Jennifer Roeleveld, Cliff Fleming, Cécile Brokelind, Adolfo Martin, Rick Krever, Patricia Brown, Manfred Mössner and Dikshit Sengupta .
The following publications were shortlisted:
IBFD is pleased to announce that Brian Arnold (Canada) is the winner of the 6th IBFD Frans Vanistendael Award for his article titled “The Evolution of Controlled Foreign Corporation Rules and Beyond”, published by IBFD in Bulletin for International Taxation in 2019.