The IBFD Frans Vanistendael Award for International Tax Law
IBFD wishes to promote outstanding scientific research output on international tax law. For this purpose, it decided to introduce the IBFD Frans Vanistendael Award for International Tax Law, named after its well-esteemed former Academic Chairman, Prof. Dr Frans Vanistendael. Professor Vanistendael is renowned for producing academic content at the highest of scientific standards and has long been distinguished as one of the most far-sighted scholars in the field of international tax law.
I. Funding, focus and requirements
II. Application and selection process
The recipient of the Frans Vanistendael 2017 award for International Tax Law will be selected by an international jury composed of: John Avery Jones, Reuven Avi-Yonah, Tsilly Dagan, Ana Paula Dourado, Marjaana Helminen, Rick Krever, Jörg Manfred Mössner, Pasquale Pistone(Chairman) and Luís Eduardo Schoueri.
The jury decides on the winner of the award by a two-thirds majority. In the case that a majority cannot be reached after two rounds of votes, the decision is taken by simple majority.
Romero Tavares (Brazil) is the winner of the 2017 IBFD Frans Vanistendael Award for International Tax Law for his article titled “Multinational Firm Theory and International Tax Law: Seeking Coherence”, published in IBFD’s World Tax Journal (Vol. 8), No. 2 (2016).
The following publications were shortlisted for the third edition of the award:
- C. Elliffe, The Lesser of Two Evils: Double Tax Treaty Override or Treaty Abuse?, British Tax Review No 1, pp 62-88, 2016
- I. Grinberg, The New International Tax Diplomacy, 104 Georgetown Law Journal, 2016, pp. 1137-1196, 2016
- G. Kofler, Some reflections on the “Saving Clause”, 44 Intertax, Issue8/9, pp. 574 – 589, 2016
- A. Meindl-Ringler, Beneficial Ownership in International Tax Law, Wolters Kluwer, 2016
- W. Schön, Tax Legislation and the Notion of Fiscal Aid: A Review of 5 Years of European Jurisprudence, pp.3-26, in Richelle, I., Schön, W., Traversa E. (eds.) State Aid and Business Taxation, Springer 2016
- R. Tavares, Multinational Firm Theory and International Tax Law: Seeking Coherence, World Tax Journal (Volume 8), No. 2, IBFD 2016
IBFD welcomes applications for the 4th IBFD Frans Vanistendael Award by 31 December 2017. All articles and books on international (including European) tax law published in 2017 are eligible. The conferral of the 4th IBFD Frans Vanistendael Award will take place in Amsterdam from 3 to 4 May 2018.