The IBFD Frans Vanistendael Award for International Tax Law
IBFD wishes to promote outstanding scientific research output on international tax law. For this purpose, it decided to introduce the IBFD Frans Vanistendael Award for International Tax Law, named after its well-esteemed former Academic Chairman, Prof. Dr Frans Vanistendael. Professor Vanistendael is renowned for producing academic content at the highest of scientific standards and has long been distinguished as one of the most far-sighted scholars in the field of international tax law.
I. Funding, focus and requirements
II. Application and selection process for 2021
Eligible publications are all articles, books, book chapters and monographs on international tax law (including European Union tax law), in paper or digital format (with an ISBN or ISSN number), published in English between 1 January 2020 and 31 December 2020, which have provided an outstanding contribution to the development of international tax law. In case of doubt, the temporal criterion to ascertain eligibility is the date of the ISBN/ISSN.
Applications may be submitted by anyone (therefore not just by the author) by 31 December 2020 via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The recipient of the 2020 Frans Vanistendael Award for International Tax Law will be selected by an international jury composed of Pasquale Pistone (Chairman), Jennifer Roeleveld, Cliff Fleming, Cécile Brokelind, Adolfo Martin, Rick Krever, Patricia Brown, Manfred Mössner and Dikshit Sengupta .
The jury decides on the winner of the award by a two-thirds majority. In case that majority cannot be reached after two rounds of votes, the decision is taken by a simple majority.
The following publications have been shortlisted for 2020:
- Arnold, B., The Evolution of Controlled Foreign Corporation Rules and Beyond, IBFD
- Debelva, F. , International Double Taxation and the Right to Property: A Comparative, International and European Law Analysis, IBFD
- Elliffe, C. , The meaning of the PPT: one ring to bind them all, IBFD
- Englisch, J. & Becker, J., International effective minimum taxation – The GLOBE Proposal, IBFD
- Lindenberg Schoueri, P., Conflicts of International Legal Framework in the Area of Harmful Tax Competition, IBFD
- Neto, L.F., Transfer pricing and deemed arm’s length approaches: A Proposal for Optional Safe Harbour Methods Based on Accurate Predetermined Margins of Profitability, IBFD
The conferral of the 5th IBFD Frans Vanistendael Award took place in Amsterdam on 6 September 2019 during the conference: Putting Learning into Practice – Addressing the Challenges of International Tax Law.
The 2019 edition was carried out with the support of the following jury members:
Reuven Avi-Yonah, Ana Paula Dourado, Marjaana Helminen, Ruth Mason, Yoshihiro Masui, Jörg Manfred Mössner, Pasquale Pistone (Chairman), Jennifer Roeleveld and Miranda Stewart.
The following publications were shortlisted:
IBFD is pleased to announce that Aitor Navarro (Spain) is the winner of the 5th IBFD Frans Vanistendael Award for his book titled "Transactional Adjustments in Transfer Pricing", published by IBFD in 2018.